Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A LIFE WORTH LIVING?




After recently reading an autobiography by a lady who had MS who applied to the court the change the law to suit her need of assisted suicide by her partner, many lingering questions came to the fore.

One of the first things I did after being diagnosed was to make a LIVING WILL. I was determined to remain in control to the end. After living with MSA for almost four years, and having lost control over some bodily functions, ever teetering on the abyss of losing more, I wonder how much control I really have? Where does my and the doctor’s will stop, and God’s will begin? What medical procedures are justified in this disorder that has no cure?

Although I feel my life has purpose and meaning currently, how will I feel if pain takes over, I'm hopelessly bed bound, and I'm unable to speak? Will my life have any worth then? How does one measure life’s worth? By the love my family and friends?  What if I become an unbearable burden?

When friends come for a barbecue we discuss some these issues, but we found no real answers.

I do know this; I love my nearest and dearest too much and could not put them through anything that would cause them agony.

God answered me the very next morning through His Word, in this exact order:

1 Kings 22:5New International Version (NIV)
 “First seek the counsel of the Lord.”

Proverbs 3:5New International Version (NIV)
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding”

James 1:5New International Version (NIV)
“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”

Matthew 6:34New International Version (NIV)
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Matthew 28:20New International Version (NIV)
“And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Isaiah 58:11New International Version (NIV)
“The Lord will guide you always”
   
1 John 4:16New International Version (NIV)
“ And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.”

My trust is in Him who loves me boundlessly. He is in control, always. If I lose my speech, I’ll still be able to talk to Him and consult Him first in all matters. My Almighty Father will find a way to answer me, and guide me through all the storms.

Thank you Trisa Hugo for permitting me to use your photo


2 comments:

  1. It also says somewhere that only God shall know the hour of our death. Also, even bedridden and mute we are free to pray and does not that alone give us value?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aletta, thank you for your comment. I wish more readers would. It is my believe that God's eternal love for us is the ultimate value adder.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting messages - drop us a line.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...